Simply put, I'm mental

So it's never a good point in your training season when you find yourself sitting on your couch with a glass of Pinot and a slice of pizza in your hand just staring at your bike. 

What led to this.......simply put, I am mental.

There is some switch in my head that goes on when I approach Big Red (the bike) that turns me into a kind of a wimp.  And I absolutely one hundred percent hate being afraid of things!  But I get on the bike and I am yellow with cowardice. 

It's certainly not for lack of support.  I have great friends who cycle and they are encouraging (many thanks to Kevin C., the other Mike F. and Cheryl for their words of support).  I have a whole team to train with for crying out loud.  I have great coaches, including Mike F. who offers to ride with me during the week to help me.  I have a husband who after working from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. still helped me put together my new trainer. 

Yet I still am jittery thinking about my 45 miler this weekend.  I am trying very hard to get over it.  I'm thinking about the amazing people I know that have met the much scarier task of chemotherapy.  I think about Michael Patrick and how he underwent a bone marrow transplant before the age of 6.  I think about Gabby and how she sought out treatment after treatment despite the side effects and pain involved.  I think about Rox and how she ran a marathon less than a year after treatment ended.  I understand that my fears are silly, but still they are mine. 

I hope to get over them soon.  I would try to hop on tonight and practice but I don't want to be the first TNT participant to have to drop for injuring herself while riding a bike trainer after two glasses of wine.

Please my friends, I could use some encouragement!  A nice note, a donation to the cause....heck, I'll even take pity at this point.  :-)

Thank you for your time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment